Saturday, March 11, 2006

Greatest Hits Challenge! Entry: Gillian Welch - Leave All The Blue Skys

(submitted by Bald Ben)

I have to say that when the topic came up I was a bit apprehensive. I have never been a fan of greatest hit collections, they are too numerous and they can never be complete. Not to say that they are without merit, just very few have caught my eye. So, I threw around a lot of ideas till I settled here. Of course I can never tout to present you a definitive list of any artist, especially this one, but I hope that some will be able to appreciate. Although I realize that this is a comp that will probably get a lot of guff from most people reading, either for the choice of artist or the choice of songs. While Gillian Welch is considered a country folk artist I feel that she reaches far greater an audience. If you are not familiar, if the classification can be overcome, Ms. Welch may change your line of sight like she did for me.

Gillian Welch is perhaps the greatest singer and songwriter in America today. A bold statement, but one I mean in all earnestness. Her songs stand on their own, her musicianship and lyrical musings are comparable to few. Her partner David Rawlings is one of the most understated and tasteful guitar players that may ever have existed. There is very little that can be said. Gillian writes songs like God makes souls: fluid almost liquid, indefinable, a little bit dusty, with a sadness that can never be touched, but a light that will blind the wicked.
  1. "Revelator" - Time (The Revelator)
  2. "Dear Someone" - Time (The Revelator)
  3. "Orphan Girl" - Revival
  4. "Barroom Girls" - Revival
  5. "Look At Miss Ohio" - Soul Journey
  6. "I Want To Sing That Rock And Roll" - Time (The Revelator)
  7. "Red Clay Halo" - Time (The Revelator)
  8. "My Morphine" - Hell Among The Yearlings
  9. "Wrecking Ball" - Soul Journey
  10. "I'm Not Afraid To Die" - Hell Among The Yearlings
  11. "Everything Is Free" - Time (The Revelator)
  12. "Pocahontas" - Black Star [EP]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not downloaded all these songs yet to make the full mix. However, I have at least half of them and like them. I like this mix as it has completely introduced me to a new artist that I would probably not have listened to otherwise. Musically and lyrically, there really is some great talent here. I'm anxious to get the rest of this mix.

March 14, 2006 8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home